This class is often booked for birthdays, baby showers, bridal thingy, or team building for the corporate world.
One of my most popular classes is always a ton of fun and works great for a celebration or team building event! This beginner workshop demonstrates a handful of styles of the traditional Japanese dyeing, Shibori, as well as binding techniques that are seen in other parts of the world. Pick the few you're drawn to and have fun! Each student will get to dye minimally 3-5 pieces.
1. We start at the vat, creating 1-3 natural indigo vats.
2. While it settles, we go into all the shibori and tie-dyeing techniques possible within the time we have a group size.
3. When one pieces has been bundle-ed up, a sample piece will be prepared to demonstrate how to dip into the vat.
4. Students continue to bind pieces, but are also welcome to start dipping their first pieces into the vat.
5. Each piece need a to be dipped a few times, depending on depth of blue desired. So students will be in constant motion during the class.
6. Pieces are rinsed, unveiled, oohs and ahhs happen, and then set in solution when needed.
7. Damp work will be sent home with everyone with washing instructions.
What You Will Make / Go Home With:
Each guest will go home with:
3-4 shibori dyed pieces they made during the event (materials are supplied or guests can bring their own pre-washed silk/cotton/linen small to medium sized item)
About the Instructor
Karin Persan is a hands on textile designer and maker, working from her studio in Brooklyn. She received her BFA in 2001 from the School of the Art Institute of Chicago, where she focused in Fiber and Material Studies. She formed her line "Better Than Jam" of printed clothing and accessories shortly after graduating, while teaching on the side. In early 2010 she opened a boutique of the same name, which grew into a communal studio space, though has since downsized into the perfect personal studio at 10m Grattan St.
About the Venue
This is the personal studio space of Karin. Much room and table space to accommodate a small crowd though 30 is the maximum suggested.
*All private events require $200-300 booking fee no less than 2 weeks prior to day of event. Weekend dates may need to secured a month or two ahead of time. The final price per person is due 5 days before event. Booking fee goes towards price of the event.
No food or drink (besides personal beverage) may be served. If you need an area for gifts or company swag let me know!
- Choosing a selection results in a full page refresh.
- Press the space key then arrow keys to make a selection.