One of my most popular classes is always a ton of fun and works great for a celebration or team building event! This shibori class is part 1 in a series and will focus on creating the indigo vat using pre-reduced indigo, while talking about all natural indigo and the history of the process. 5 categories of traditional Japanese dyeing techniques will be shown including Suji, Itajime, Kumo, Tegumo, Ne-Maki and Arashi. Pick the few you're drawn to and have fun! Each student will get to dye minimally 3 pieces.
1. We start at the vat, creating 1-2 pre-reduced indigo vats.
2. While it settles, we go into all the shibori techniques that we will play around with 5 categories, but over 20 versions will be shown. 3. Student are shown the materials and let loose to start binding up your first piece.
4. When one pieces has been bundle-ed up, a sample piece will be prepared to demonstrate how to dip into the vat.
5. Students continue to bind pieces, but are also welcome to start dipping their first pieces into the vat.
6. Each piece need a to be dipped a few times, depending on depth of blue desired. So students will be in constant motion during the class.
7. Pieces are rinsed, unveiled, oohs and ahhs happen, and then set in solution when needed. 8. Damp work will be sent home with everyone with washing instructions.
What You Will Make / Go Home With:
Each guest will go home with:
2-3 shibori dyed pieces they made during the event (towels & bandanas supplied or guests can bring their own pre-washed silk/cotton/linen small to medium sized item)
About the Instructor
Karin Persan is a hands on textile designer and maker, working from her store and studio in Bushwick, Brooklyn. She received her BFA in 2001 from the School of the Art Institute of Chicago, where she focused in Fiber and Material Studies. She formed her line "Better Than Jam" of printed clothing and accessories shortly after graduating, while teaching on the side. In early 2010 she opened a boutique of the same name, which has since grown to include a communal studio and workshop space.
About the Venue
This is the personal studio space of Karin. Much room and table space to accommodate a small crowd though 15 is the maximum suggested.
*All private events require $100 booking fee no less than 2 weeks prior to day of event. The final price per person is due 5 days before event. Booking fee goes towards price of the event.
No food or drink (besides personal beverage) may be served.
Request any of our workshops listed as a one on one session, with a friend, or with a small or larger group. Feel free to message with any questions firstname.lastname@example.org
- Choosing a selection results in a full page refresh.
- Press the space key then arrow keys to make a selection.